Community Development Assistant
1 year Intern Position – Sudbury, Ontario
Title: Community Development Assistant
Based at: Social Planning Council of Sudbury (SPC Sudbury)
Reports to: Senior Social Planner
The SPC Sudbury works in partnership with individuals, social service organizations, government, business, and the health and educational sectors to improve the quality of life for all residents of Greater Sudbury. Our work in the community is visible in many different ways. Beyond research, we are at the table and on the ground understanding and finding solutions to issues that affect our community. Our work is accomplished through progressive social planning practices which include research, asset based community development, social policy advocacy and education.
The Community Development Assistant will work as a member of a team with the community, partner organizations and the government to solve problems and realize new opportunities through collective action. Using a strength’s based approach the Community Development Assistant will work at the neighbourhood level in low income environments to support community change efforts; helping to prioritize and align strategies within the broader community context as well as revealing and mobilizing untapped community resources.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Work with a team according to work plan;
- Group facilitation and community planning, fundraising and promotion as well as taking part in administrative tasks i.e. record keeping, purchasing materials etc.).
- Ability to organize and/or run meetings and/or take notes;
- Help with evaluations and/or conduct research on various subjects;
- Report on progress, keep records;
- Graduated within the last 3 years from a post secondary institution;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Critical thinker, compassionate, inclusive and eager to learn;
- Passionate about community development;
- Position will be a first full-time employment in the candidate’s field of study;
- Be able to work occasional evening/ weekend;
- Reliable and conscientious.
Friday, January 5, 2018 at 4:00 PM
To apply for this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
This opportunity is proudly supported by: Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation